Mending Spirits Animal Rescue is a non-profit 501(c)(3) 100 percent volunteer foster based animal rescue in Mankato, MN founded in October 2013. Our foster homes are located in Mankato MN and other surrounding areas. We serve vast communities in need throughout Minnesota and all over the United States. Mending Spirits Animal Rescue is a team composed of committed volunteers, foster homes, licensed veterinarians, trainers, groomers and educators. We are able to successfully rescue animals from animal impound, high kill facilities, owner surrenders, strays and puppy mills then place them into well-paired, permanent homes. We serve as a rescue for the community, while we educate and advocate: responsible pet ownership, enable pet retention, over population control, spaying/neutering, behavioral management, training, proper preventative, and maintenance care.
On average, nearly 50 percent of animals in our care have needed mending, both medically, and emotionally. We began operating in late October 2013, and between 2013 and 2018 we secured rescue and forever adoptive placement for over 2000 different animals.
We successfully have rescued multiple dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, birds, small exotic animals, pot bellied pigs and several different reptiles. In addition, we are proudly able to serve as a solid resource by keeping people and their adopted pets together with an average success rate of 95 percent. We provide enabling tools that promote pet retention with behavioral coaching and support.
MSAR has secured placements for local animals that are impounded, owner surrenders, homeless, urgent care, medical/behavioral needs. We have been able to drastically lower euthanasia rates within some holding facilities down to 1 percent .
Fact: In addition to over population, one of the leading causes of homeless animals within our community stems from manageable often stemming from behavioral struggles. Pet owners often lack support, so we provide those tools. We aim to keep people and pets together, alumni or not, because proper advocacy achieves pet retention and this is our mission. We also take pride in maintaining a very low return rate with our adoptive placements. We have screening and retention tools that are consistent and on-point to ensure well-paired placements that are life long.
Our rescue is solely funded on adoption fees and heart-felt donations in order to sustain the needs of the animals we serve. Overall, adoption fees contribute to nearly 90 percent of our funding, while donations complete the remaining 10 percent. To properly sustain animals in our care we need to provide all of their essentials for their on-going care. Routinely, we provide all of our animals with vaccines, microchips, spay and neuter surgery, heartworm testing, and preventatives. We, lovingly, have taken on several special needs animals which have had a variety of critical medical challenges. Some of our special needs cases have included: seizure disorders, diabetic conditions, aging related conditions, end of life hospice care, heartworm infection, Cushing's disease, traumatic injury, physical abuse, neglect, mange, infection, starvation, disability, dentals, and other life threatening conditions. Unfortunately, the adoption fees do not cover all the costs we incur, especially if an animal has extensive medical needs, or resides in foster care for a long duration.
Rescue animals aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other pets. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write...ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage.
"Don't pity a RESCUE animal, FOSTER, SPONSOR, ADOPT, ADVOCATE, DONATE, EDUCATE OR VOLUNTEER.
And be proud to have their greatness by your side and or in spirit."
~ Anonymous ~
Please help us continue our mission of being the “bridge between; for an animal in need” as we work to ensure an animal will “never be alone and forever in a home”.
MSAR Board of Directors,
Kristy, Angie, Shannon, and Gerald