Note from Directors:
Mending Spirits Animal Rescue is a non-profit 501c3 100 percent foster based animal rescue in Mankato, MN founded in October 2013. We serve vast communities in need throughout Minnesota and all over the United States. Mending Spirits Animal Rescue is a 100 percent volunteer based team composed of nearly 200 individuals and consists of foster providers, behaviorists, photographers, trainers, groomers, general volunteers and educators. We are able to successfully rescue animals from animal impound, high kill facilities, owner surrenders, strays and puppy mills then place them into well-paired, permanent homes. We serve as a rescue for the community, while we educate and advocate: responsible pet ownership, over population control, spaying/neutering, behavioral management, training, proper preventative, and maintenance care. We believe in giving and have lovingly donated, goods, funding and companion animals, to other local non-profits, which provide therapeutic enrichment to the individuals they serve. Our courageous veterans qualify to receive a companion animal at a generous discount and we began training a small number of qualifying dogs as Service Dogs for Veterans.
We began operating in October 2013, and successfully placed a total of 32 dogs and cats into forever homes. Between 2014 and 2016 we secured rescue and forever adoptive placement for almost 1000 different animals. In 2017, over 380 animals were rescued. On average MSAR serves over 60 animals at one time ranging from dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, rabbits, ferrets, pot bellied pigs and other small animals in multiple foster homes.
Nearly 50 percent of animals in care, on-going have needed mending, both medically, and emotionally. Our rescue is solely funded on adoption fees and heart-felt donations in order to sustain the needs of the animals we are serve. Overall, adoption fees contribute to 87 percent of our funding, while donations complete the remaining 13 percent. To properly sustain animals in our care we need to provide all of their essentials for their on-going care.
Routinely, we provide all of our animals with vaccines, microchips, spay and neuter surgery, heartworm, feline leukemia testing, preventatives and address all necessary medical issues to ensure wellbeing. We, lovingly, have taken on several special needs animals which have had a variety of critical medical challenges. Some of our special needs cases have included: bowel obstruction, amputation, orthopedic surgery, tumor removal, deformities, cancer, optical conditions, seizure disorders, diabetic conditions, aging related conditions, end of life hospice care, heartworm infection, Cushing's disease, traumatic injury, physical abuse, neglect, mange, infection, illness, starvation, disability, dentals, and other life threatening conditions. Unfortunately, the adoption fees do not cover all the costs we incur, especially if an animal has extensive medical needs, or resides in foster care for a long duration.
We’re always looking for volunteers, whether fostering, photography transporting, home visit assessments, event/fundraising assistance, donations, assisting routine vetting needs of our animals, assisting with animal intakes, vetting partnerships and raising awareness in general of our cause.
We look forward to hearing from you.
MSAR Board of Directors,
Kristy, Angie, Shannon, Linda & Christina
Some spirits that have been mended, check it out!
Featured Furry Friends:
Interested in a featured friend?
Click their photo for more info!
Mending Spirits Animal Rescue is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Check out our Volunteer/Foster page for other ways you can help!
THE BRIDGE BETWEEN; FOR ANIMALS IN NEED.